The Dream of the 90's at Park Ivy?

Have you seen the Portlandia video "The Dream of the 90's is Alive in Portland?" Whenever I see it, I picture the 9th & 9th neighborhood circa 1996, particularly the crowd in and around the Coffee Garden and Park Ivy.

But Park Ivy Garden Cafe was more than a scene, and more than a restaurant. Besides the hipster clientele, the garden murals, the maze-like dining areas, the animal figurines as table markers, and the eclectic bulletin boards, there were the rumors. I remember hearing about the place being run by a cult, company-forced meditation and yoga practice, employees banned from alcohol and drugs, and employees forced to use psychedelic mushrooms to enhance spirit quests. Maybe it was apathetic of me, but I didn't care one way or another what was up behind the counter, because the food was AWESOME.

And the New Age-y vibe didn't scare anyone else away, either, as far as I could tell; the place was always hopping. It was the one vegetarian restaurant we had no problem taking omnivores to, since the wheat-meat "chicken" dishes made their menu welcoming to non-veg guests - even my in-laws liked the place.

So when they announced their imminent closure in 2000, the only thing that mitigated the pain was that they were selling cookbooks. I wouldn't have to live in a dystopian nightmare future without Park Ivy Lemon Rice Soup, the one thing that made Salt Lake's winters bearable!

Then, in 2012, a horrible thing happened. One day, I couldn't find my Park Ivy cookbook. So I did what any normal 21st century citizen would do - and Google failed me! Nowhere on the wide wide world of web could I find this cookbook, or any Park Ivy recipes for that matter. Luckily for me - and for you - the cookbook turned up. But this close call inspired me to make a record of the treasures within for posterity, and for myself in anticipation of the next time this happens. Please to enjoy this blog of the Park Ivy Garden Cafe Cookbook!